Re: xinetd /etc/host.deny ALL:PARANOID

Well, the rationale behind this is as you touched on, preventing spoofed
address attacks.  A paranoid lookup essentially verifies that the connecting
system is a known legit host.  In effect you're using your DNS system as
another level of authentication.  Say somebody wants to covertly log on or
attack your system, so they give themselves a bogus ip.  A paranoid lookup
will stop that because there's no DNS entry.  (I won't get into the
mechanisms of these spoof type attacks)

Now for connections originating from the internet this is little help since
there are so many ways to spoof traffic/hack/attack/etc.  What it can make a
difference in is from traffic originating within your own network.  Because
that is a known entity and paranoid lookups should ALWAYS succeed.  I don't
know all the details of how it passes or fails you given RR DNS but it does
something...

--
REMEMBER THE WORLD TRADE CENTER         ---=< WTC 911 >=--

00000100