Locale problems

[broken off from previous thread, because it's really a seperate one
now:]

on Thu, 10 Jan 2002 08:37:23AM +0100, Mark Lamers insinuated:
> Op wo 09-01-2002, om 02:39 schreef Nori Heikkinen:
>
> > and again i run up against unset locales:
> >
> > perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
> > perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
> >         LANGUAGE = (unset)
> >         LC_ALL = (unset)
> >         LANG = "en"
> >    are supported and installed on your system.
> > perl: warning: Falling back to the standard C locale ("C").
>
> see /usr/doc/locales/README.gz
> worked for me.

hm.  this file suggests i call localedef with options roughly as
follows, which sounds promising:

> To compile the locale data files you simply have to decide which
> locale (based on the location and the language) and which character
> set you use.  E.g., French speaking Canadians would use the locale
> `fr_CA' and the character set `ISO_8859-1,1987'.  Calling
> `localedef' to get the desired data should happen like this:
>
>   localedef -i fr_CA -f ISO-8859-1 fr_CA
>
> This will place the 6 output files in the appropriate directory
> where the GNU libc functions can find them.

read man localedef.  backs this up and doesn't tell me much else.

so, i run:

orange:/usr/share/i18n/locales# localedef -i en_US -f ISO-8859-1 en_US
-v

and get a lot of error messages to the tune of:

en_US:7: non-symbolic character value should not be used
en_US:8: non-symbolic character value should not be used
en_US:9: non-symbolic character value should not be used

and ending with

LC_NAME: field `name_gen' not defined
LC_IDENTIFICATION: field `audience' not defined
LC_IDENTIFICATION: field `application' not defined
LC_IDENTIFICATION: field `abbreviation' not defined
LC_IDENTIFICATION: no identification for category `LC_MEASUREMENT'
no output file produced because warning were issued

... and the locales are still not set.  help?

tia,

</nori>

-------------------------http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori/jnl/daily.html