Shutdown process and Upgrade

Hello,

I'm quite a newbie to Linux and emerge mainly from a MS background. I
love Linux and use it as my primary OS though.

I have a question with regards shutting down Linux. When I shutdown Linux
I go into tty1 and press Ctrl-Alt-Del. Now this shuts everything down
including X and it's applications, however what if I'm in the middle of
say typing a document, I don't get a dialog box responding to a close
event asking me if I want to save the document or not,etc. Does this mean
that Linux applications are typically supposed to be designed so that
they automatically save whatever was happening when they receive the TERM
signal. However, the time between a TERM and KILL signal is low,
therefore if there were applications that require a lotta time completing
what they're doing, then they may be killed before they finish their
task. Could someone explain the Shutdown process to me?

Also I currently have Potato and I've been thinking of Upgrading to
Woddy. How would I go about that? Could I just do a apt-get upgrade??
Would that upgrade me to Woody (Debian 2.4)....what is Sid?

Thanks for all the help