md resync vs. swap (was Re: Swap not starting)

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 07:42:28PM -0800, Eric G. Miller wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Jan 2002 13:14:00 -0600, Dave Sherohman <esper@sherohman.org> wrote:
> > Any ideas on what might be preventing swap from getting started
> > automatically at boot?
>
> Well, /etc/init.d/mountall.sh generally runs swapon at some point.
> It must be getting the idea that it shouldn't turn on swap.  Either
> that, or it's exiting prematurely (a possibility).

FWIW, the server in question was rebooted this morning (problems with
external hardware that can only be reset by rebooting the server...
it's hell on my uptime...) and the swap came online by itself.

Taking a look at mountall.sh and checkroot.sh, the two scripts
containing swapon commands, they both contain constructs along the
lines of (from mountall.sh):

grep -qs resync /proc/mdstat || swapon -a 2> /dev/null

So why would the system want to run swapless if a RAID is resyncing?
Is this just to preserve disk controller bandwidth so the resync
finishes faster or would Bad Things happen if swap were turned on at
that point?  And, either way, why doesn't it log a message to the
effect of "WARNING:  Swap was not activated during the boot process.
You will be running with physical memory only unless you manually run
the command `swapon -a`."?

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss