Re: How do tell if X is using acceleration...?...

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 05:20:42AM -0600, Hanasaki JiJi wrote:
> I am thinking that my machine is not using acceleration.  It is an
> athlon 600 with a voodoo3500.  Graphics seem to be slow and take
> the CPU to over 75%.  This even happens when moving an opaque
> window.  My XFConifg-4 file is pasted below.  Could someone help me
> with understanding what could be tweeked?  Is it running
> accelerated? how can this be determined..?

I'm not familiar with Voodoo stuff but you can see if it is
accelerated if you do this:

1. login as root in virtual console
2. make sure you are running bash "/bin/sh"
3. type "X 2>/tmp/MyXStartup"
4. switch back to virtual console and press Ctrl-C to stop X
5. "less /tmp/MyXStartup"

I don't know about xdm but if you run gdm the startup log file
is in /var/log/gdm which has the same thing as the above
/tmp/MyXStartup.

NOTE: If you run server on :0 and vt7, you need to specify a
different location for the server startup in #3. Something like

"X :233 vt10 2>/tmp/MyXStartup" ought to do it :)

Hope this helps a bit,
Adam