Re: kernel compiling fails on sounddriver

Kurdt <pauwel.demeyer@pandora.be> writes:

> Hi
>
> My debian woody is now working a few weeks.  Some things don't work
> yet. Like my sound. Most describings say to compile my kernel with the
> new soundmodule enabled.  I downloaded the latest stable kernel on
> kernel.org
> So far, I untar in /usr/src/linux, do a make menuconfig (or make
> xconfig), enable the things that seem to be necessary to me.
> Thus, I think I need the VIA 82C686 Audio Codec, because that is the
> same name as on my windows (I have the K7 motherboard, with VIA sound on
> board) .
> I do make dep, make clean.
> make seems to work.  After ten minutes it halts:

>     /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/lib/lib.a /usr/src/linux/lib/lib.a
> /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/lib/lib.a \
>     --end-group \
>     -o vmlinux
> drivers/sound/sounddrivers.o(.data+0xb4): undefined reference to `local
> symbols in discarded section .text.exit'
> make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1
>

> (last lines of the output)
>
> So, I understand, something went wrong, but what?

That's an upstream kernel source problem, which I think is supposed to
be fixed in 2.4.17.  See the bug report here:

http://bugs.debian.org/123944

Also, it's usually advisable to use the debian kernel packages rather
than the kernel.org sources.  Look into debian's kernel-package
(make-kpkg) as well.

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>