Re: Need scripting or redirection help in BASH

Gary Turner <kk5st@swbell.net> writes:
> A day or two ago, I noticed that somewhere in my effort to get
> acquainted with my Debian box, a few hundred files of type 'c'
> (character, as opposed to regular or block) had shown up in my home
> directory.  All were created 12/21/01.

Do you expect there to be no character-special devices under your home
directory at all?  I'd look for them all with

  find $HOME -type c -print

And then nuke them with

  find $HOME -type c -print0 | xargs -0 rm

Or, alternatively,

  find $HOME -type c -exec rm {} \;

(Handy shell hacking hint: it's always safe to substitute "rm" with
"echo" or "ls" when you're doing this sort of thing to check that it's
really doing what you want.  Then press up-arrow, edit the command
line to actually nuke the file, and go.)

	-- Abra Mitchell