Re: Framebuffer or....not to Framebuffer

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002 09:26:21 -0600
techlists@techgod.net wrote:
> I have an nVidia GeForce 2 MX 400.  I have compiled the nVidia drivers
> and it works fine.  When I had originally compiled the 2.4.17 kernel,
> I had enabled the nVidia framebuffer in it.  So, should I use it?  Is
> their a performance increase or decrease when using the framebuffer.
> What are the advantages/dis-advantages to using the framebuffer?

Using kernel framebuffer support can be/is entirely seperate from using
XFree. Unless you tell XFree to use the framebuffer, it'll happily take
over the video card and use its own drivers.

You don't want to tell XFree to do that, though, trust me. But there is
no reason whatsoever why you can't use kernel framebuffer support to
have a nice console, and yet still use the nVidia drivers for
XFree(without telling XFree to use the framebuffer).

--
/    David Barclay Harris            Aut agere, aut mori.      \