Re: dpkg headache -- please help me to solve

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 20:16:25 +1100, Andrew Nesbit wrote:
> dpkg: error processing
> /var/cache/apt/archives/tetex-base_1.0.2+20011202-1_all.deb (--unpack):
> trying to overwrite `/usr/share/texmf/xdvi/xdvi.cfg', which is also in
> package tetex-bin

> What happened,

If one package wants to overwrite files belong to another package, it needs
to declare a "Replaces:" relationship to that package. tetex-base doesn't,
and dpkg therefore refuses to overwrite.

> and what can I do?

Check whether the bug has been reported yet, and if not, report it. In this
case, it has been reported already: http://bugs.debian.org/127596 .

You can work around the problem by passing the "--force-overwrite" flag to
dpkg, either by calling dpkg directly, or by having apt do it for you (e.g.,
create an /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99local containing
	DPkg {
		Options "--force-overwrite";
	}
).

HTH,
Ray
--
"I'm just waiting to see `Red Hat to acquire Abominable Snowman & Department
of Defense in Massive Stock Swap.'"