Re: Linux, Solaris, KDM

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 01:50:10PM -0500, iehrenwald@earthlink.net wrote:
| I'm having a lot of difficulty getting my Sid box to serve KDM to an Ultra
| 5 w/ Solaris 8.  I edited /etc/kde2/kdm/Xservers (added
| "ultra5:0 foreign").  I edited /etc/kde2/kdm/Xaccess (uncommented "*" and
| "* CHOOSER BROADCAST").  I edited /etc/kde2/kdm/kdmrc (in the [Xdmcp]
| section set "Enable=true").
|
| The Linux machine shows up in the dtlogin Chooser screen, with the number
| of users and load avg and whatnot.  If I select the Linux machine, the
| Solaris box tries to connect a couple times and then returns to the login
| prompt.  On the Linux box, the logs say :
|
| [daemon.log]
| Jan  6 13:13:58 bp6 kdm[912]: server open failed for 192.168.1.10:0,
| giving up
| Jan  6 13:13:58 bp6 kdm[902]: Display 192.168.1.10:0 cannot be opened

The sun box won't let kdm access it.

| [syslog]
| Jan  6 00:06:09 solvent kdm[18137]: Hung in XOpenDisplay(ultra5:0),
| aborting
| Jan  6 00:06:09 solvent kdm[18137]: server open failed for ultra5:0,
| giving up
| Jan  6 00:06:09 solvent kdm[18103]: Display ultra5:0 cannot be opened
|
| I can't even remotely run an X app on either box.  I took out the
| -nolisten tcp option from Xservers on the Linux machine but still nothing
| pops up.

The X *server* on the linux box doesn't matter since the video card
you're trying to use is in the sun box.

Are you trying to run the remote X app over ssh (recommended) or via
telnet and setting DISPLAY?  The latter only works if you xhost the
remote machine ('man xhost', basically you let anything on that
machine use your X display, big security hole).  If you use ssh be
sure and enable X forwarding on both sides.  IIRC debian's sshd has it
enabled by default, but check /etc/ssh/sshd_config.  On the client
side you need to pass the proper option.  IIRC on solaris' ssh (ssh2
at least) it is "+x".  Notice also that 'ssh' and 'ssh2' are separate
commands.  With OpenSSH (the ssh debian uses) "-X" enables X
forwarding.  Fortunately both systems use (almost) the same config
file.

| I'm not too familiar with Solaris (I bought the Ultra5 to learn on) so
| I don't know what files are where and which I'd need to edit to play with
| it's login manager.

Look in /etc :-).  A quick glance through a Solaris 8 system at school
looks like /etc/dt/config/ has some relevant files.

-D

--

If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his
cross and follow me.  For whoever wants to save his life will lose it,