Re: Samba printing problem

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 11:48:29AM -0500, Jeff Self wrote:

| I tried this and it still doesn't see the printer. The only time the
| printer shows up on the windows box is when I add the 'printcap name =
| /etc/printcap.cups' line to the global area. Then of course, its saying
| 'Access denied'.

What version of samba (and cups) are you using?

ii  samba          2.2.2-2        A LanManager like file and printer server fo
ii  cupsys         1.1.12-3       Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - server

When you say "printing = cups" samba is supposed to go to CUPS and
find out what printers there are.  For "printing = bsd" (or sysv) it
needs to look at a princap, since that's what those systems use.

Did you set "load printers = yes"?

One of the things I found is that if the "[printers]" section is
missing, samba doesn't show any printers to the clients.

| I did get it to work by changing the rights and group on /var/spool/cups
| to 777 and group lp and added users to lp. But anytime cups is restarted
| it changes the rights back and group to sys.

This is due to cups' configuration.  From /etc/cups/cupsd.conf :

#
# User/Group: the user and group the server runs under.  Normally
# this must be lp and sys, however you can configure things for
# another user or group as needed.
#
# Note: the server must be run initially as root to support the
# default IPP port of 631.  It changes users whenever an external
# program is run...
#

User lp
Group sys

-D

--

Microsoft encrypts your Windows NT password when stored on a Windows CE
device. But if you look carefully at their encryption algorithm, they

http://www.cegadgets.com/artsusageP.htm