pine?

Common newbie question I'm sure; I need to install pine and the compile
isn't working.  I'm on a freshly installed and patched potato machine,
following these instructions:

apt-get install pine-docs pine396-src pine396-diffs
cd /usr/src/pine
dpkg-source -x *.dsc
cd ./pine-3.96M
./debian/rules binary
dpkg -i /usr/src/pine/*.deb

The "./debian/rules" command fails; the first error I notice is:

cc -O2  -g  -DLNX -DSYSTYPE=\"LNX\" -DMOUSE   -c -o addrbook.o addrbook.c
make[1]: cc: Command not found

I tried aliasing cc to gcc, but that didn't make any difference, and in
general when I see this it's because some source code didin't configure
properly to build on the platform where it's installed; so I figure there
must be some step I'm leaving out, or else an error in the build process.

If anybody has tips on building pine on woody that would be great too.
I have many users very unhappy because we had to wipe some boxen after
a hack last week.

Cheers,
--michael