imap mail

Hi,

I hope this is not too offtopic here. I have now successfully set up a
cyrus imap/exim based mail server using debian testing for my personal
use. The goal is to use this server as my main mail archive. And there
are lot's of mails in there, most come from mailing lists.

Now, I have done some work to create a filter system for incomming mails
that will dispatch the mails automatically into defined folders (for
mailing list mails). That was a little harder that expected, because
cyrus_deliver needs to be run as cyrus, whereas the .forward is examined
as the regular user. But in the end sudo was my friend.

Now, I have done away with a ultra huge inbox, because all list mail
get's dispatched, but still some list archives (like this one) get huge
over time. A cool addition to my system would be to have some kind of
cron job that searches for mails that are older than a certain timespan
and move them to a different folder.

Given that my current folder layout looks like this (it is bigger in
reallity, but the below suffices for the demonstration purpose):

INBOX
lists
lists.debian
lists.debian.user
lists.debian.news

It would check each folder and if mail was found that was of a certain
age, it would put it in a sub-folder. The result could look like this:

INBOX
INBOX.jan-jul-2001
INBOX.jul-dez-2000
INBOX.jan-jul-2000
lists
lists.debian
lists.debian.user
lists.debian.user.jan-jul-2001
lists.debian.user.jul-dez-2001
lists.debian.user.jan-jul-2000
lists.debian.news
lists.debian.user.jan-jul-2001
lists.debian.user.jul-dez-2001
lists.debian.user.jan-jul-2000

The script should automatically create folders if they are not there
yet.

Now what is the best/simplest way to do it. I was thinking about using
some imap binding for python (i think there is one) and doing such a
script myself. but hey, maybe s.th. similar is already out there.

Any ideas?

tia,
Andreas