The old story - backspace in xterms

For some reason neither the Delete key nor the Backspace key work in my
terminal windows (xterm, Konsole).  I have to use ^H on the command
line.  The keys work however as expected in editors like vim, pine (in
these very terminal windows), as well as in nedit.  There is nothing about
the keys in my .bash_profile nor in my .Xdefaults.
Can anybody tell me where and how the key settings are defined for xterms?
--

	Tom "thriving on chaos" Peters
		NL-1062 KD nr 149	tel.    +31-204080204
 			Amsterdam	e-mail  tpeters@xs4all.nl