sound in gnome

Hi,

on my sid machine (totally recent, except for the new mozilla packages from today), I never managed to get the gnome sounds working. esd is up and running, mpg321 -o esd, and a lot of other apps all play sound without a problem (I am using the std. kernel oss drivers). But gnome never plays a sound. Even if I go into the control-center, click on the sounds tab and ask it to play one of the event sounds manually, i get nothing to hear.

Anybody knows what could be wrong?

tia,
Andreas
PS: Btw, what is the best way to filter debian mailing list mails? There seem to be mails with various header fields indicating the list (X-Mailing-List, ...)