modules.dep 0 bytes on 2.4.10

I've just tried to upgrade to the 2.4.10-386 kernel image from
unstable.  I cannot get it to boot , seemingly because none of the
modules get loaded.  I noticed that modules.dep in the
/lib/modules/2.4.10-386 is there, but is empty, showing a file size
of 0 bytes.  Can anyone tell me what I've done wrong, or what needs
to be done differently than from previous 2.2 series updates.  I ran
the 2.4.9 kernel briefly before, but did not encounter this problem.

Thanks!
jdk