Re: SPAM WARNING: spammers use Debian lists for harvesting

On Wed, 03 Oct 2001 13:03:36 BST, Alex Hunsley writes:
>What's obnoxious about it? I don't want spam, dad. It's that simple.

Almost nobody wants spam. It's that simple.

But such is life. I also don't want advertising in my physical mailbox
 (and yes, this also costs the recipient money. My house, for example,
 could do without the second paper-container, which costs approx. $400/
 year, would they cut down on sending those fscking brochures).

>Also, I was having a discussion on usenet recently on this very subject
>- the capabilities of spam bots - and I was advising people that address
>trawlers probably by now could see past things like a capital words like
>BLOCK or REMOVE in an address. Many people wrote back saying "I use the
>word REMOVE in my address all the time and have yet to receive spam", so
>anecdotally, most trawlers aren't that good yet. (Although it wouldn't
>be hard to make them that good).

Of course it would be easy to make such bots a little bit more
 intelligent. But why bother? Also, most spammers probably don't target
 people who already have formed an opinion against it, their main
 targets are AOL- & -newbies, anyway.

If you believe in using fake addresses, why not use something like
 lard@uk.ed.ac.tardis? This doesn't (and probably won't) exist, so you
 have the benefit of a faked address but don't simply shove the load
 unto someone else.

As for addresses: the *best* option IMHO are expiring hostnames, eg
 waldner@20011003.waldner.priv.at.

cheers,
&rw
--
-- AOL would be a giant diesel-smoking bus with hundreds
-- of ebola victims on board throwing dead wombats and