Re: crontab problems ...

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 06:03:27PM +0200, Bruno BEAUFILS wrote:

> I noticed a strange things in my /etc/crontab which seems to be installed by
> the cron and maybe modified by the anacron package.
>
> Here is my crontab :
>
> ----------------------------------------crontab----------
> # /etc/crontab: system-wide crontab
> # Unlike any other crontab you don't have to run the `crontab'
> # command to install the new version when you edit this file.
> # This file also has a username field, that none of the other crontabs do.
>
> SHELL=/bin/sh
> PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
>
> # m h dom mon dow user  command
> 25 2     * * *  root    test -e /usr/sbin/anacron || run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily
> 47 2     * * 7  root    test -e /usr/sbin/anacron || run-parts --report /etc/cron.weekly
> 52 2     1 * *  root    test -e /usr/sbin/anacron || run-parts --report /etc/cron.monthly
> #
>
> What I think is a problem is the `||' if the file /usr/sbin/crontab exist the
> run-parts part will not be executed, and if it does not exist the run-parts
> can not be executed.
>
> I dont understand why the `||' are not replaced by `&&'.

It's /usr/sbin/anacron. If anacron (the at package) exists, it let's
anacron handle the execution of those parts. If it doesn't exist, (the
logical "or" ||), then it executes run-parts directly, since anacron
isn't installed to do it itself. It's correct.

/                   Ben Collins    --    Debian GNU/Linux                  \