Re: Manually bring up NICs not found at install and/or rebuilding Kernel

John Purser(jmpurser2@home.com) is reported to have said:
> Hello,
>
> I've repeatedly installed Woody (vanilla) and Potato on my IBM and neither
> one recognizes the PCI NICs.  Red Hat and W2K get them first try but I don't
> want either one on this box.
>
> During the last attempted install of Woody I tried using the "Configure
> Network" alternative but was told that there were no NIC's found which means
> I have to load different modules in the kernel before I can configure.  So
> either I dynamically load the modules or I have to rebuild my kernel or
> someone gives me another option.

I used potato, with Bunk's 2.4.x packages, as a stepping stone to
woody and had minimal problems in the upgrade.  I think that the 2.4.x
packages made that possible.

> QUESTIONS:
> Is there any way to bring up my NIC's without rebuilding my Kernel?

Only if a 'grep /usr/src/linux/.config' or if that isn't there a grep
of the config in /boot shows
CONFIG_EEXPRESS_PRO=y or =m
If not, then the only way is to rebuild the kernel (Usually a smart
move anyway as the stock kernel has much more compiled in then most
users require).  The smaller kernel the better.

> I've found a .deb file called kernel-source-2.4.6_2.4.6-1_all.deb at
> E:\pool\main\k\kernel-source-2.4.6 on the first CD.  Is this my Kernel
> Source?  If so how do I install this file.  My Kernel compiling instructions
> assume I'm starting with a .bz2 file.
>
> Any tips/suggestions on rebuilding my Kernel?

I am running kernel-2.4.9 on both potato and woody.  Each of then has
this in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Configure.help:

EtherExpress PRO/100 support
CONFIG_EEPRO100
  If you have an Intel EtherExpress PRO/100 PCI network (Ethernet)
  card, say Y and read the Ethernet-HOWTO, available from
  http://www.linuxdoc.org/docs.html#howto .

  This driver is also available as a module ( = code which can be
  inserted in and removed from the running kernel whenever you want).
  The module will be called eepro100.o. If you want to compile it as a
  module, say M here and read Documentation/modules.txt as well as
  Documentation/networking/net-modules.txt.

Either compile the kernel using the Debian Way, with make kpkg or the
old fashioned way -make dep ; make clean ; make bzImage....

There are many posts on just how to do this in the archives or by
doing a google search.  Running Debian is much different then running
Red Hat or W2k.  You have to be willing to learn things other then
clicking on a button.  You will be much wiser in the long run.
--
You have a tendency to feel you are superior to most computers