Re: RedHat vs Debian?

Ross Burton wrote:

> On Thu, 2001-08-30 at 17:09, Robert L. Harris wrote:
> >

> > hmm,  Ok, give me a list of stability:
> >
> > potato most stable
> > sid (unstable) next most stable
> > woody (testing) "least" stable
> >
> > Problem is manage ment doesn't understand "shortly after" they want
> > an "average # of hours/days" etc.
>
> Wrong order, unstable is less stable than testing.  Testing is packages
> being tested for stable.

I've found unstable to be of better use than testing.  The reason is
that even bugfixes need at least 10 days to go into testing, whereas in
unstable they could be included the next day.  I've been badly bitten on
some occasions by a testing dist-upgrade that left my system broken.

Granted, unstable is also broken sometimes, but I have found that the
errors are much easier to fix than testing errors.  And if I can't get
it to work, it'll usually repair itself with the next dist-upgrade.

MfG Viktor
--
Viktor Rosenfeld
WWW: http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~rosenfel/