Re: networking problem during install

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 04:55:15PM -0700, Brandon High wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 01:04:51PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > Another thought:  PCI bus problems?
> >
> > Have you tried an alternate card in the box?  If everthing outside the
> > box works, the card(s) work, and the CPU isn't misbehaving, I'd suspect
> > a mobo/bus problem.  No idea how to diagnose same, but you've indicated
> > this is older hardware.
>
> If it is a PCI problem, you might not have to replace the card. With some
> PCI busses, moving the card from one slot to another can help due to
> resource allocations. It's worth a try.

I've tried an alternate card, but I get the same symptoms.  All my cards
work when put in other boxes.

I hope it's not a PCI bus problem; this box only has two PCI slots,
and I need them both if I'm going to turn it into a firewall.  At any
rate, I get the same problem regardless of which PCI slot the card is in.
This might just mean that the PCI bus is hosed...  I'm not sure how to
test that.  I could try to put a sound card in and see if it plays, but
I'd have to install sound drivers, which would be a big hassle since I
just have the install disk kernel to work with on the box.

Is there a way to test the PCI bus with just the install disks, or maybe
a program that could be shuttled to the box via floppy?

--
Bob Galloway                  "It is clear our nation is reliant upon
                               big foreign oil.  More and more of our