Re: mod-ssl vs apache-ssl

On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 01:18:03PM -0700, Bill Wohler wrote:
>   A little while ago, Hans (obviously from Northern Germany--moin
>   moin!) asked whether it was "better" to use mod-ssl or apache-ssl.
>   That question wasn't really answered.
>
>   Since libapache-mod-jk only attaches itself to apache, I'm now
>   considering apache (with mod-ssl) over apache-ssl.
>
>   I use both ports: 80 and 443.
>
>   Are there any advantages of apache-ssl over apache + mod-ssl?

In terms of practical usability, I'd say no -- at least I wouldn't
know of any. If you search the web for differences between the two SSL
implementations, about the only thing you'll find is a difference in
philosophy: apache-ssl is primarily focusing on stability, while
mod_ssl (or Ralf Engelschall, to be more precise) dares to add new
features as required...

As to the stability of mod_ssl, I can say that we've been using apache
+ mod_ssl in various projects for quite some time now, and we've never
had any problems with stability so far.

Just my 2 cents.

--
Erdmut Pfeifer
science+computing ag

-- Bugs come in through open windows. Keep Windows shut! --