Re: strange leaps in df % reported

On 26 Aug 2001 15:05:24 -0500, burningclown@westhost43.westhost.com
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm seeing odd leaps in the Use% reported by df. The value leapt from 56%
> to 59% last night, and from 59% to 62% just a few moments ago.
>
> 3% of 15gb (which is half my total space) seems like a lot o' space to
> spontaneously be taken up ... I seem to recall reading at some point on
> the list of "warez doodz" being able to use one's space for storage. I
> wonder where I would look to see whether that's happening ...
>
> I haven't downloaded any monsters lately. I am also wondering in general
> about system 'cleaning' - I took a quick look at the 'cruft' package but
> it seemed to have a tough time picking out "real" cruft.
>
> NB: I know I need to get better apprised of security issues, but that's
> one of many things I'm trying to get better at :).
>
> Any advice would be appreciated. I'll RTFM if someone will tell me where
> it is (a FM on this specific subject would be great).

I'd look around with du (du |less etc) from the root directory to see
where these large jumps in disk usage are occuring.  Wander in and take
a look at anything that looks suspicious.  Also, if you don't run
apt-get clean it just keeps the debs for you.  If you jumped to testing
or unstable lately that could be the source of the files.

--mike