Problem with the installaion of debian locking up

Blank
Problem: Debian CD "B1" bombs either when choosing modules, or
before (can even happen right off the bat, scrolling through the
keyboard selection screen!)

The suggested way to install Debian is to use the CD's; so bought
some, and I can boot from them.  However, in the early part,
after partitioning (although this can happen even before then),
when I am scrolling through the lists (like when choosing the
modules to install) I will be using the arrow keys, or the
PageUp/PageDown keys, and suddenly a keystroke will cause what
appears to be a NewLine, making a blank (black) interruption of
the screen for one text line, and then everything locks up.
Nothing can be done except to hit a hard RESET.

I first began trying to install Debian via downloads, I had
planned on finishing up with a Network install (I have cable
modem Internet service).

Then, I tried using a copy of Debian from the back of the book,
"Learning Debian/GNU Linux".

Finally, I bought the latest version (Potato) of Debian from the
Computer Help Guy in Canada (www.chguy.net).

All of these installation programs acted the same way.

I suspect a problem with hardware compatibility with my AGP slot
"ATI RAGE 128" video card (it seems to be not listed in the
hardware compatibility list, although other, similar ATI cards
are listed).

I have used other Linux distros before; esp. RedHat (up to 6.1),
and SuSE 6.4 (SuSE is TOO EASY!  Not at all a challenge,
everything is done FOR you!  <sheesh!>  ;-)

I have read the installation manual online; and I have gone
through and read the FAQs and other stuff; but I really don't
know what to make of this curious install program bombing, or
locking up or whatever.  I never get very far, never get to see
the program actually working.

One idea that I have is to install a different distro of Linux,
then use it to build a new kernel image for Debian that has video
card support--but what if the problem isn't the video card?  Plus
I have never built a new kernel before (I suppose it's about time
! ;-)  Anyway, I just wanted to ask if anyone recognizes this
problem before I go to such extremes.  I would like to go "ALL
DEBIAN" in this adventure.

ABit BX6 motherboard
PII 400 MHz
300 Watt power supply
256 MB of RAM
2 6-gig HDD's
80-pin HDD ribbon cable (purchased for a defunct 30-gig drive
     that was 100 DMA, but got *MUNCHED* by WINDOWS 2000!)
ATI RAGE 128 AGP-slot video card
standard Creative SoundBlaster sound card (the cheapest one! :-)
52X CD-ROM (it works fine booting the CD's for Debian)
Debian Linux 2.2.19pre17, kernel-image-2.2.19pre17_2.2.19pre17-1
D-Link DFE-530 TX PCI fast ethernet adapter
Epson 777 printer, new (uses USB port or parallel, but it doesn't
matter
    if it is plugged in or not, I still get the same difficulties
in
    trying to install).

Thanks in advance,

--Mark Seven Smith