AW: ipmasq support in potato kernel

Yesterday I set up a 2.2r1 box, upgraded to woody and set it up (with
firestarter) to do masquerading. I set up a client to use the new
machine as a gateway and it worked out of the box.

Only then I read that the kernel that comes with 2.2 does not support
masquerading my default and that I have to roll my own. Which kind of
surprised me, since my box seemed to work.

Does anybody know if I did something _wrong_, because it works (maybe
the other/old gateway still does the job and I misconfigured something),
or does the standard kernel support masquerading?

Thanks in advance,
Andreas
PS: Box is Pentium 166, Kernel is default install Kernel from the
official CDs, not changed when upgrading to woody.