Re: how to make exim run queue only when ppp link is up?

on Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 02:21:19AM +0100, Stig Brautaset (stigbrau@online.no) wrote:
> Diald keeps bringing up the link on request from exim. I have only had
> this problem since I made a fresh install about a week ago. Earlier, the
> exim cron-entry that run the queue was controlled by a set of scripts
> in diald's ip-up.d and ip-down.d directories, but not so now. Why is
> that? I could of course move the thing myself, but I want to do this the
> debian way. I have tried dpkg-reconfigure exim, but that didn't work...

Two tacks that I could suggest.

One is to run exim only when your PPP connection is up.  Unfortunately,
this has the side effect of disabling local deliver.  You can specify
commands to run on up and down actions in ppp-up.d and ppp-down.d.

The other is to configure diald to ignore exim network requests.  Note
that this may cause exim timeouts.

I've looked at diald from time to time but never actually configured it.