Re: newbie questions

On Sun, 19 Aug 2001, James A. Hilsenteger wrote:

> I made the plunge and completely turned my Dell Inspiron 3000 into a Debian
> box.

Good idea. I presume you are running Debian 2.2

> After a few false starts I have a working Debian computer using the
> Enlightened desktop.  I'm unfortunately less than complete in my
> installation.  Under the main desktop menu, I cannot get some of the
> programs to respond.  Specifically I cannot get Netscape to run as well as I
> cannot get any games to show up.

What happens whn you type netscape or the name of the game(s) in a
terminal? You should get some error messages that'll help us.

> Also I need some suggestions on a word processor and user-friendly database
> program.

Well thats a more difficult and controversial question. StarOffice is
quite good. If you are looking for a WYSIWYG word processor this is your
choice I guess. But it's big (it's an all in one OfficeSuite). It's free
and especially StarWriter is very compatible with MSWord. You'll get a
restricted ADABAS for SO as an extra download from the SUN site.

> Thanks ahead of time for any help.
>
> James A. Hilsenteger

Frank