Console dead after update

I updated from the testing tree 2 days ago and after all the packages were installed the keyboard appeared to go dead. The system was still running fine as I could telnet to it and all services appeared to be running correctly but it would not accept any input on the console. It's like getty isn't running even though it is.

If I boot to single user (runlevel 1) the keyboard works fine but when I go to runlevel 2 it goes dead. The keyboard works fine on another machine and was working fine before the update so I know it's not the keyboard.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Darren