LaserJet 6L and dvi-files

Maybe a bit offtopic, sorry for that...
I am trying to print 'colorized' (i.e. gray) tables using the package
'colortbl' for LaTeX. The problem is that, when I view/print the
dvi-file LaTeX created, the rows I defined to be grayed out, appear
black and therefor I cannot read the text in the fields anymore.
Now I tried to convert the dvi-file to a postscript file, using 'dvips',
and now the fields are gray when I print/view the file.

Any suggestion how to be able to view gray 'color' as well in the dvis?
tia, Jan.
--
"are you punk rock, are you strung out or are you just crazy?"