Re: Suspicious behavior: cracked or just a dying machine?

hi ya andrew

if you wanna know if you were cracked/hacked...
its too late if you did not save the state of your machine before you went
live....
	- if you can compare your binaries to the live cdrom install
	than you can still check if the binaries were replaced...

	- lots of stuff gets replaced ... just need to know which files to
	look for and which directories...

	- tripwire is the simple answer to see anything "new/changed"
	( though its too slow ...

if you wanna see if someone has backdoors and trojans...
i think some of the online auditing places might help ???
( donno, never used um ...fear of them installing their own trojan and not
  tell ya ...

	http://www.Linux-Sec.net/Audit

since you are having problems wiht top and man, and probably ps...
and segfaulting...

i'd guess you've been hacked since your load is too high if it supposed
to be just idling...
	- or just bad memory....

-- backup your data onto a new disk/cdrom and appply all patches
   and see if it fixes things...
	- keep your previous set of backup intact... since thats a good
	verion prior to noticing all these "hardware problems"

have fun
alvin
http://www.Linux-Sec.net ... security stuff...