Re: Unidentified subject!

On 15 Aug 2001 20:37:49 +1000, Joel Mayes writes:

>   gary> I do not want to experiment with the computer I use for
>    gary> work/school, but I have a "project" computer I would like to
>    gary> install some version of Linux on.  133 Mhz Pentium less than
>    gary> 300 Mb available hard drive 8 Mb mem.  All I want is a
>    gary> version of Linux I can install on this machine, that has a
>    gary> graphic interface (I have old/bad memories of DOS), I'm even
>    gary> willing to pay a small amount.
>

>While your Pentium CPU is more then powerful enough to run Linux you
>would have huge problems running X (the linux GUI) with only 8Mb of
>RAM, 16Mb would be fine if you can dig up some old memory chips and
>stick to a light window manager, FVWM is my recomendation and runs
>fine with 16 Mb.

I second that, but try to aim for as much RAM as possible. I´m running
debian on a Pentium 1 "under"clocked to 50 MHz just fine, but then it
has never had less than 80 MB RAM.

fvwm(2,95) (is/would be) my choice for a windowmanager on slow machines.

cheers,
&rw
--
-- "If my son wants to be a pimp when he grows up, that's fine with me.  I
-- hope he's a good one and enjoys it and doesn't get caught. I'll support