Re: Unidentified subject!

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 05:48:21AM -0500, gary p largess wrote:
> Dear debian;
> I would like to learn something about Linux, but I finding it very
> frustrating, I have visited dozens of sites looking for a OS, and they
> all seem to be too small (1 or 2 floppies) or too big (over 300 M), or
> they simply don't specify the systems minimum requirements.
>
> I do not want to experiment with the computer I use for work/school, but
> I have a "project" computer I would like to install some version of Linux
> on.
> 	133 Mhz Pentium
> 	less than 300 Mb available hard drive
> 	8 Mb mem.
> All I want is a version of Linux I can install on this machine, that has
> a graphic interface (I have old/bad memories of DOS), I'm even willing to
> pay a small amount.

You will have a hard time getting Linux's graphical environment (X Windows)
to work on such a machine, if it can be done at all.  Not a job for a
beginner.

I think you can learn a great deal about Linux by installing a base Debian
system and working with it.  This can be done entirely by floppy.
A more complete installation will require cdrom or some kind of network
connection.

Mike