Re: Deb-Newby: Read HOWTO's?

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 02:40:33PM -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:

> 	Subject: Re: Deb-Newby: Read HOWTO's?
> 	Date: Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 11:43:58AM -0400

> Quoting Faheem Mitha(faheem@email.unc.edu):
> >

> > On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, d wrote:
> >
> > > LURKER here again, what is used to read the HOWTO files?  All of the ones I
> > > have on my system are ******.gz, I know that means compressed.  What to use
> > > to uncompress?  When I used to work on UNIX systems you used a command
> > > called "compress" with different switches to do that or to uncompress.
> >
> > I see nobody on this thread has mentioned most, the pager written by John
> > Davis. Some may know him as the author of slrn. It has some quite nice
> > features, including the ability to have multiple windows open at once,
> > useful if you want to view different parts of a large file at the same
> > time. (It uses pretty much the standard emacs keystrokes for this, so if
> > you are an emacs user you would feel quite comfortable). It probably has
> > other good things going for it that I am not aware of. :-)
> >
> >                                   Best, Faheem Mitha.
>
> Nice Tip!  Didn't know about most.  To help in howto reading I offer
> this script I keep in /root/bin (Just modified to use 'most').
>
> #!/bin/sh
> if [ "$1" = "" ]; then
>         ls /usr/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/ |most
> else
>     most /usr/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/$1-HOWTO.txt.gz
> fi
>
> I do like most!

don't forget

	# update-alternatives --config pager

if you get in the habit of typing "pager" then you can have it
re-point to the latest-and-greatest whatevr (more, less, most,
w3m, view...)

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #63 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
:
What's the best way to GET RESPONSES ON DEBIAN-USER? There are
several things to keep in mind:
	1) Debians are all volunteers because they enjoy what they
	   do; they don't owe you diddly (and you'll be one of us
	   when you start getting involved): ASK, and ye shall
	   recieve; DEMAND, and ye shall be rebuffed
	2) Provide evidence showing that you did put effort into
	   finding a solution to your problem (at least demonstrate
	   that you've seen the manual)
	3) Be known to offer pointers and assistance to others
	4) Give enough information so that someone else can figure
	   out what you're after; and make it legible
	5) Enjoy yourself and have fun -- it'll come across, and we
	   enjoy people who enjoy life; a petulant whiner seldom
	   gets any useful pointers other than "Out, miscreant!"