Re: easy twm question

on Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 03:18:26PM -0700, Robin Rowe (rower@movieeditor.com) wrote:
> Here's an easy one, I think. In playing with twm all I seem to be able
> to do consistently is minimize or resize. How do I close a twm window,
> and how do I get the window's menu to appear?
>
> I've tried every mouse combination I can think of, the man page is no
> help, and I can't find a helpful Web site. I even got a window's menu
> to appear without figuring out how I did it. Using stock Debian
> configuration. What's the trick?

First, it's easy to test a window manager within another graphical
environment by launching Xnest:

    $ Xnest :1 &
    $ twm -display :1 &

The default Debian twm configuration binds the root window menu to left
mouse.  "Show Icon Manager" will show the icon manager.

I like to add the following to my twmrc:

    IconifyByUnmapping	# don't show windowicons, just use icon manager.
    RandomPlacement	# opening windows isn't a drag.
    ShowIconManager	# show icon manager at startup.

To minimize a window, click the "circle in a square" icon, usually at
top left of a window.