Re: learning to find packages

On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 12:42:57PM -0400, Bob Koss wrote:
> I'm still in library/package management hell.
>
> I try to start an application and it says that it can't load
> libstdc++-lib6.1-1.so.2.

You should not have to deal with this problem.  What application are you
using?  Was it installed from a .deb?  If so, and you used apt-get, the
necessary libraries would have been installed for you.  If you installed
the package "manually" using dpkg, then dpkg should have informed you
that you were missing a specific package.

> I look in /usr/lib and I see that I have:
>
> libstdc++3-lib6.1-2-2.10.0.so
> libstdc++3-lib6.2-2-2.10.0.so
>
> I tried to make a link from what the app wanted to what I have and that only
> produced a seg fault.

Search for file names at http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages.  There
are actually two search engines on that page.  The first allows you to
search based on package name, while the second (the one you need) allows
you to search based on file name.

Am I correct in assuming that you are trying to install a non-Debian
binary package?

noah