Re: Help with ip-spoof protection in Debian

On Sun, Aug 05, 2001 at 10:18:20AM +0100, Debian User wrote:
> Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
> permitted by applicable law.
> No mail.
> kim@debian:~$ su
                ^^
Bzzt.  This gives you a root shell with your user's environment.
(think: are /sbin and /usr/sbin in your user's PATH ??)

> Password:
> debian:/home/kim# dpkg-reconfigure netbase
> bash: dpkg-reconfigure: command not found

If you insist on using su this way, try

  # /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure

(locate is your friend).

Better yet, use

  $ su -

to become root.  I use sudo myself, but there are some here who would
rather cut off their arm than use sudo.

> Everyone says use dpkg-reconfigure.  But there's no
> --reconfigure option in man dpkg and it doesn't work.
> HAve I messed up installation or am I looking for
> help in the wrong place?

Neither, you're just at a steep point on the learning curve
apparently.

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.