two X tree's??

hi,

is it possible to have two Xfree86 installs on a SINGLE system?
I've been trying for so long, and I can't it to work

I need x3 for utah-glx and I need x4 for other various items.

I tried copying the binaries of x3 from another potatoe install (onto SID)
and placed all the files under thier own dir /usr/local/x3.  Whenever I tried
to run one of the servers, for some odd reason it always ran the x4 server,
no matter what I did.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? or how to get this dual-X thing to
work?

thanks

Sunny Dubey