Re: Routing and pppd

* Patrick Kirk <patrick@kirks.net> (2001-08-02 22:00):
> Finally managed to get the speedtouch ADSL modem working with my Woody box.
> All works perfectly now save one non-ADSL glitch.  My routing is set up to
> use eth0 connecting to my win2k laptop and use it as a gateway. So apart
> >from being able to ping ppp0 and the remote peer I can't use the connection.
> Now that I can use my Linux box to connect, I can cut out the win2k box but
> don't know yet how to set up the correct routing table.

See "man route" for further information, but here's what I believe you
want to do:

You'll need to delete your current default gateway (the win2k box) and
replace it with the default gateway of your ppp connection.  Try
"route del default gw" and then "route add default gw <gateway ip>".

If that works, then you'll want to comment out the gateway entry in
/etc/network/interfaces (if you've got it set there).  PPP will set up
the default gateway automatically for you (at least it does with
Benoit's adsl script).

> Can anyone help me?  What is the command to have local address read from
> /etc/hosts and all others read from a remote peer that dynamically assigns
> IP addresses?

This behaviour is controlled by /etc/host.conf.  It should have a line
saying "order hosts,bind", which means that it will look in the hosts
file first, and if the host is not found, it'll contact its first
nameserver (which is defined in /etc/resolv.conf).  You can either
enter your ISPs nameservers manually in resolv.conf, or make sure that
you have the "usepeerdns" entry in your /etc/ppp/peers/adsl script (I
believe this is the default if you use the script file in Benoit's
tarball).

Cheers,
Sean

--