Re: new HD

on Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 04:13:36PM -0300, GARGIULO Eduardo INGDESI (YAPEDU@SIDERAR.COM) wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I have a new 12G hard drive to install in my server.
> I'm using qmail, so Maidirs are in $HOME directories. I want to
> use the new disk to mount /home.
>
> I want any sugestions about how to move the actual /home to the
> new one, without having to worry about user permissions.
> Is there any other way than simple tar/cp/untar or cp -rf?

    # partition drive as desired.  I'll assume one primary data partition
    newdr=<appropriate new drive device and partition>
    mount -t $newdr /mnt
    cd home
    tar cvf - * | ( cd /mnt; tar xvf - )
    umount /mnt
    mv /home /home-old
    mount -t $newdr /home

...will do it.

Modify your /etc/fstab as appropriate.

  What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?          There is no K5 cabal
    http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/           http://www.kuro5hin.org
Free Dmitry!! Boycott Adobe!! Repeal the DMCA!!  http://www.freesklyarov.org