Re: centrally managed bookmarks for multiple users, accessible from everywhere?

The easiest way to have a shared "bookmark" is to just have a "links"
page... just raw HTML. Your users could connect right to it by typing it
in, could make it their home page, etc.

A more advanced step would be to write something like a PERL CGI or a
PHP program to allow the users to update the page. Even more advanced
(Perhaps overkill) is to store the info in a MySQL database, and have
the page generate automagically. MySQL would not actually be the program
listening, your central machine would have a webserver running for the
users to connect to.

If you want to integrate the bookmarks into a browser, just have the
clients synchronize their bookmarks file with the "master" file, either
manually or through a cron job. The actual transfer could be ftp, wget,
rsync, etc. If you've got NFS mounting, you could have some neat tricks
with an NFS mount and symlinks, etc...

--Rich

Walter Tautz wrote:

> I was wondering if it would be possible to keep bookmarks
> on a central machine where one could access and change them
> via any browser than can ``connect'' to the bookmark server.
>
> To elaborate:
> It seems to me that one could adapt a standard database program
> like mysql that listens to connections from the network
> to centrally manage bookmarks from a multitude of users
> in such a way they could add and delete entries from a browser
> running anywhere. Perhaps the newer opensource browsers will have
> a module like this?

Rich Puhek
ETN Systems Inc.