Re: Putting a TESTING package on a STABLE system

"Newton, Harry" <NewtonHa@logica.com> writes:

> I am running a Debian 2.2, and have just upgraded/updated the system using
> apt-get and this /etc/apt/sources.list:
>
> deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
> deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian stable/non-US main contrib non-free
>
> What I should like to do is put a few TESTING packages on this system (
> specifically Tomcat and its dependencies ).
>
> I've been told that I should make a new sources.list, with 'stable' changed
> to 'testing', and then run:
>
> 	apt-get update
>       apt-get install tomcat
>
> and _then_, restore my original sources.list. Is there anything I should
> know about doing this ?

I think that should work fine, but simulate first by

% apt-get -s install tomcat

before doing the real install, that way you see what will be done and
avoid some nasty surprises.  For upgrade it is even more important.

> However, I believe that there's a better way, using apt-get 0.5.
> how would I get apt-get 0.5, which is in TESTING ?

See above :-)

> How would I do this, and

Look into the man pages for apt.conf and apt_preferences.
In particular you can put both testing and stable in your sources.list
and specify a default release in apt.conf .

I have stable, testing and unstable in my sources list, and a default
release of stable.  In addition I'm playing with pins in
/etc/apt/preferences to make it prefer testing over unstable.
It works reasonably well, but it is not quite perfect yet
(it has no mind reading module :-).

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>