Re: PPPoE +Debian ?

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 05:27:36PM +0000, John Griffiths wrote:
> At 09:19 AM 8/2/01 +0200, Chris Halls wrote:
> >over an active ethernet connection.  I have a small 10Mb hub with all my
> >machines connected, and the DSL cables comes in there too.  Not very
> >elegant, but it definitely works.  I've been using 2.4.x kernels.
> >
> >Chris
> >

> Holy Hell.
>
> That's sounds like a VERY insecure setup.
>
> I could be wrong but hub's broadcast... and running the ADSL straight into the hub would make it possible for an outsider to sniff your network....

Yeah, the DSL modem sees all my network traffic, but I don't think it bridges
everything it sees onto the DSL line... but there again I possibly shouldn't
take the risk.  Thanks for pointing it out.  Anyone know for sure what a DSL
modem will do in this situation?  My local traffic is not going to get onto the net as
such, since I have to talk PPPoE over the DSL connection, but I suppose
someone really unscrupulous at my ISP might be able to sniff in.

At least there isn't much to see on the line.  I had it mainly so I could share a
DSL connection between a Linux and Windoze PC (not mine!), neither of which
had two network cards or a masquerading setup.

Chris