Re: exim won't relay mail : FIXED

On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 05:47:37PM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
| In article <20010731200552.A497@hudson>, dman  <dsh8290@rit.edu> wrote:
| >I added
| >    dman: dsh8290@rit.edu
| >to /etc/email-addresses and now the envelope-from is valid (for me
| >anyways).  I would need to add a similar line for all other users on
| >my system, if they were to send emails.
|
| I always recommend people running their own mail system on their
| own servers to get their own domain, or subdomain. When I was at

Yeah, but I don't have much of a connection (see below).

| school they created a 'students' subdomain in which anyone could
| get a DNS record - ask the people at rit.edu if they can do that
| for you, hudson.rit.edu or hudson.students.rit.edu. Ofcourse then

When I was living on campus I had "dman.rh.rit.edu" (rh is Resident
Halls, even though I was in an on-campus apartment).  I also had a
nice T3 connection too.  Now I am back home with only dial-up.  I only
need to get mail out (ssmtp works for that) but I wanted to have local
delivery also (and more importantly, I needed to have a way of testing
my simple smtp client (school project) without tying up the phone all
day).

| you need to do something with that domain - set the primary MX
| to your box if you have a permanent connection and a static IP
| address, or put all mail for the domain in a POP3 mailbox that
| you can collect using fetchmail, or use UUCP (old but perfectly
| suited to these kinds of situations).

No, I only have dialup right now.

Thanks for the suggestions though,
-D