Re: Create Installation Disks

Hello,

> I have finnally created a kernel which supports my Adaptec Raid card thanks
> to the help of this group.
> Now I would like to take that kernel and create an installation disk with it
> so that I can install directly on to the Raid Array.
> And since the current installation that I have is located on one of the
> disks that will be placed in the array I will delete the entire
> installation.
>
> Does anyone know how to create an installation disk from a custom compiled
> kernel so that I can reinstall the entire system
I believe that you only have to make a new bootdisk. Check the LILO
documentation in /usr/share/doc/lilo for information how to do this.
Additionally you need to load the modules, but I have no idea how these
disks have been made.
But since you have already installed Linux on your machine, is it not
possible to empty your root, and copy your new modules /lib/modules/?
In this case you do not need to worry about the driver disks.

>(and also duplicate the
> entire installation on another identical unformatted machine)?
If the harddisks are identical, it is a piece of cake. Just put your
unformatted harddisk in the 'original' machine. Then do:
# dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb

where sda is your source harddisk and sdb is your unformatted harddisk.
All information is copied and therefore the data is identical.

Greetz,
Sebastiaan