Re: [users] Re: Time to fight for our beloved DEB format!

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 03:53:57PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:

> so this runlevel business is soley about X.  fine, i can think of NO
> daemon that relies on xdm being running off hand.  certianly not
> enough for you to dictate to me how i setup my runlevels.

I don't know about xdm, but there certainly are many daemons both
existing and imaginable, that would benefit from running only when X
is.

xfs (X Font Server, not the filesystem). Overwhelming majority of
users are running xfs locally, and for them it would be beneficial to
have xfs running only when X is.

VNC-alike screen sharing services. I suppose one could be implemented
on top of X, as a separate daemon, handling network connections.

Win4Lin and VMWare (workstation versions) probably could have daemons
running. These would only be needed when X is run.

Etc etc. There are plenty of daemons generally making sense in a
workstation-alike environment. Providing a separate runlevel for X does
not limit anyone, but helps the great majority of users. In a Red Hat
environment, I often switch between runlevels 3 and 5 (text
console/graphical), but making the same happen in Debian is more
cumbersome.

You repeatedly state that having 4 identical runlevels gives sysadmins
the liberty to define them as they will. Well, how many have you
redefined and use regularly?

Best regards,

--
Matti Airas               CISSP, Bach, Binnenlandse Veiligheidsdienst,
mairas@iki.fi             Blowpipe, XM, Police, 192.47.242.7, PPP,