Re: [users] buying a computer

also sprach Faheem Mitha (on Mon, 02 Jul 2001 04:15:13PM -0400):
> I live in North Carolina, US. I am thinking of having it custom-built and
> it would be nice to get Debian preloaded. I looked at resellerratings.com.
> There seem to be some good small vendors out there. For example,

well, you learn best from installing it yourself... especially when
you have your old workhorse around until you are down with debian. i
don't necessarily recommend purchasing a pre-loaded debian machine!

> Unfortunately, Envision doesn't support Linux at all. Minotaur does Linux
> installations (and even OpenBSD installations) according to their web
> site, but unfortunately only Redhat installations. Has anyone ever dealt
> with these two places for Linux machines?

redhat != linux.
okay, let's not go there.

> My main question is -- can anyone recommend a good firm to custom-build
> computers for Linux? It would be a big plus if said firm knows enough to
> be able to install Debian on it. I might do a reinstall, but it would be
> greatly reassuring to know that it works on the computer in the first
> place. I would hate to buy a new computer and find Debian refuses to work
> properly on it. That is the stuff of nightmares.

if linux works, debian will work. if redhat works, debian will work.

> Has anyone bought computers from Dell recently? They do Linux installs
> these days, but I don't know how good it is, and it seems to be
> exclusively Redhat too. I don't see why there is this big concentration on
> Redhat.

dell makes nice computers and dell has good support services, if you
buy the 24hour onsite support, which i'd recommend (i did and never
regretted it). however, their linux installs are disgusting. of
course, only redhat, and then with *everything* installed.

seriously, if i were you, i'd buid the computer yourself from parts
and then put debian on it from scratch - and use us for help.

and you want to know why redhat exclusively? because while dell,
intel, and micro$oft are currently sleeping with each other, redhat's
business plan is so like micro$oft (they give a flying food about
their private customers and anything else that doesn't smell like big
money), and so dell (who's also out there to make money and grease up
to capitalism) works with them. well, there are other reasons too, but
that's the one that makes the most sense i find.

that's all i can tell you. i am very glad that you found your way to
debian!!!

warning: dates in calendar are closer than they appear.