Re: Re. Total Confusion

On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, D-Man wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 02:49:43AM -0700, Sidney Brooks wrote:
> | For those of you who tried to help with my problem, several weeks
> | ago, here is a statement of the problem and solution.
>
> | After following all suggestions offered here and consulting with a
> | computer technician, the conclusion was that it had to be the modem.
> | I bought a new Diamond modem and both versions of linux now get me
> | online. Our guess is that I had a line surge that knocked out a part
> | of the modem that linux requires, but that Windows can do without.
>
> It is always good to find a solution :-).
>
> | I still have two minor problems that I may be able to work out myself. In
> | order to get on line with Debian, I must use ppp. Minicom and wvdial
> | connect but fail to authenticate.
>
> As Wayne mentioned, minicom and wvdial aren't supposed to authenticate
> or maintain a ppp connection, that is pppd's job :-).  minicom is an
> _interactive_  dialer.

Minicom is a "terminal program" or "comm program"... as in dial up
over a serial line, login, use your shell account.

> It is only inteneded to dial the modem, no
> more, no less.

No, it is intended as a comm program.

> Also, because it is interactive, it is only really
> useful when determining what the dialog with the ISP should be, and
> then it is essential.

It is interactive because a comm program would be useless if it
was not.

<...>
> I used minicom to see what my ISP sends and what it expects.  With the
> knowledge of these "expect-send" pairs I set up a chat script (chat
> controls the modem and is driven by a set of expect-send strings in a
> config file) and use 'pon' to dial.

Sounds like a good use of minicom if you don't have serial access to a
box.

<...>
> Minicom is a great tool for determining how your ISP
> handles an incoming call, then after that it isn't really useful
> because (AFAIK) it isn't scriptable.

Yes it is, but if you don't have a dialup shell account the feature
is kinda useless (it simulates keypresses), eh.

Youngsters!  What is this world coming to, never heard of a comm prg,
probably don't know what x/y/zmodem and kermit are either.  ;)

just for the fun of it...
I can dial in and read my mail/surf-the-web using a C64 and a comm
program, and if my ZX81 was still working I could hook up a home-built
low-speed modem I built many years ago and use it.

Maybe I'll go have a nap now, I'm feeling old all of a sudden.  :)

- Bruce