Re: .Xauthority and kdm

On Monday, 2. July 2001 17:00, you wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 04:06:40PM +0200, tim wrote:

> > > 1st solution (lame, don't run x programs as root):
> > >
> > > $ su -
> > > # export DISPLAY=:0
> > > # export XAUTHORITY=~tim/.Xauthority
> > > # xapp &
> >
> > works! but dissapears after relogin. So where do I need to place it
> > that it persists?
>
> If you are the only user that will ever su to run an x app, you can
> do another pretty lame trick by putting both variable assignments in
> /root/.bash_profile.  It is pretty bad actually, because when you
> login on the console, some programs will be confused and think you're
> in x.

I had the same idee, but doubt that it would work.

> BTW, why su and then run xterm?  Why not simply start an xterm and su
> in the xterm shell?

Lol! ok lets xeyes - xterm wasnt a good example either....
but why would anybody wants to run xeyes as root ?!   :)

You are right there is actually now reason to run xapps as root, if
everything is configured correctly. --> I am on the way.

>   man sg  (best approximation I could find, read a general unix book)

I have SAMS "system administartors Survival guide", buts its in lots of
cases outdated. Do have any recommendations?

> If you are running xfree86 4.0, then you need to enable the xserver
> to listen to the network.  It is disabled by default, for reasons of
> security.  Alternatively, you could login using ssh with x11
> forwarding enabled.
>
>   man Xserver (and look in /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc, the manpage is
> oldish) or
>   man ssh

This clarifies why I cant forward a xterm from my "debian router" to my
"debian desktop". I though "xhost server" should do the trick....

thanks

tim