Re: `holding back' packages?

On 01 Jul 2001 21:15:14 +0200
Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@chello.at> wrote:

> On 01 Jul 2001 11:42:41 -0700, Krzys Majewski wrote:
<snip>
> > Interesting.  I  know  RPM   won't  overwrite  files  that  have  been
> > touched. Then  again RPM doesn't seem to  distinguish between binaries
> > and  config files.  Debian clearly  does -  it won't  overwrite config
> > files, but, as  you suggest, it will overwrite  binaries. Wonder which
> > is better..
>
> It may well be that I'm wrong. I now realize that I have taken a guess
> of mine as a fact. I'd appreciate if somebody who knows about this would
> comment on it

You're right.

See the thread about apt messing with my fetchmailrc. One of the reasons I
was a little peeved that upgrades kept changing ownership of that
particular config file, was that I'd read in the Policy manual that
apt/dpkg shouldn't touch locally installed conffiles without asking first.

Mart