Re: your mail

* Philipp Stawksi <philipst@mayn.de> (2001-07-01 22:20):
> 1.When running XF86Setup or xf86config, I do not find my video card
> listed in the card definitions! (NVIDIA TNT2 Model 64)Thus, when
> selecting NVIDIA TNT2 and running the SVGA-Server, I can only run at
> 256 colors!

To get the best performance from your TNT card, you'll want to use
X 4.x, and use the official Nvidia drivers.  Since potato only comes
with X 3.3.6, you'll need to upgrade that.  Have a look at this
website for information on how to get X4.0.3 for potato:

http://people.debian.org/~cpbotha/xf403_potato/READ.THIS

X 4.x has an nv server which will work with your card, but you'll have
no 3d accelleration, so if you want 3d accelleration, you'll want to
get the official Nvidia drivers from here (once you've got X running
with the nv server):

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=linux

Get the NVIDIA_GLX and NVIDIA_kernel tar.gz files and install them as
per the instructions in the README (located on the above page).

That should be all you need to do to get decent 3d and 2d
accelleration from your card.  Post back to the list if you have any
further problems.

> 2.I have some usb-devices, how do I install modules for these
> devices?

The best starting point is http://www.linux-usb.org.  There you can
check if your devices are supported, and if they are, you'll probably
need to recompile a later revision kernel since the stock 2.2.17 that
comes with potato probably has very little in the way of usb support.

Install the kernel-package (apt-get install kernel-package), then get
the latest 2.2.19 kernel from your local mirror, eg

ftp://ftp.de.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.2/

Read the documentation in /usr/doc/kernel-package, and build a usb
enabled kernel for your devices.  If you have any problems, post them
back to the list and we'll have a look.

Cheers,
Sean

--